The City Manager is the Chief Executive Officer of the City and also serves as Executive Director of the Redevelopment Agency. The City Manager is responsible for providing and coordinating the overall operation of the City under the policy mandates of the City Council, oversees the annual operating budget, and supervises all departments within the City organization.
The City Manager makes recommendations to the City Council on program alternatives and makes sure programs adopted by the Council are implemented.
As the administrative head of the City Government, the City Manager is appointed by the Council to enforce municipal laws, direct the daily operations of the City, and prepare and observe the municipal budget. More specifically, the formal duties of the City Manager include (but are not limited to) the following:
1. Appoint employees to the City pursuant to requirements set out in the ordinance.
2. Direct and supervise the administration of all departments, offices and agencies of the City.
3. Prepare annually, submit, and administer the budget, capital improvement plan and other plans and programs of the City as required by the Council.
4. Keep the Council advised of the financial condition, current and future needs of the City.
5. Enforce all City laws and ordinances.
6. Prepare and submit reports to the Council concerning the needs and operations of City programs, departments, offices and agencies.
In addition, the City Manager oversees the functions of Human Resources and Risk Management, Economic Development, and state and federal grant processing.